About our Association
The Cree Outfitting and Tourism Association (COTA) was incorporated on December 7, 2000 as a non-profit corporation under Part II of the Canadian Corporations Act. The actual process that eventually led to the creation of COTA, however, began over 40 years ago during the negotiations for the James Bay and Northern Québec Agreement (JBNQA) which was signed in 1975.
Since our incorporation we’ve been active in the development of the tourism industry in Eeyou Istchee Baie-James.By promoting tourism, we’re helping to transform our region’s vast potential – for economic, employment, and other growth opportunities – into reality.
Our vision, in accordance with Sections 28.4 and 28.6 of the JBNQA, is to:
- Provide marketing, booking, and promotion services, where necessary, for Cree outfitting operations
- Provide business, management, accounting and professional services, where necessary, for Cree outfitters
- Conduct feasibility studies related to the establishment of individual outfitting or a network of outfitting facilities
We actively champion our vision and mission through targeted action in three areas:
- Fostering air access to Eeyou Istchee
- Helping operators create market-ready tourism products
- Marketing and promoting the region and facilitating bookings with the establishment of a destination management company (DMC)
In keeping with our vision, mission, and initiatives, we work closely with our members to help them achieve their tourism-related objectives and build a successful tourism industry in Eeyou Istchee Baie-James.